fredag den 6. januar 2012

Flathead project

As you properly already have noticed, I have started my flathead project.

I bought my flathead 9 years ago, and it was my first motorcycle. Back then I was very young and a bit naive, therefore I didn’t really knew how to appreciate the beautiful old parts and how to keep the nice old fashion look.

The first thing I did was getting the tanks, fenders and the primary cover painted metallic blue. The next step was to paint the cylinders, oil pump and ignition, classic kitchen blue – actually they where mend to be darker, but this was the only heat resistance spray paint from the local paint store.

Luckily I didn’t destroy anything, I didn’t chop up anything, or destroyed the original paint - thanks god, It just needs to be repainted :D

My plans for the bike is to restore it, but I don’t want to over restore it, it’s suppose to look like an old motorcycle, everything just has to be clean and in a good condition.

The style of the bike will be a traditional bobber, which means I’m going to use pretty much all the parts that I already have. Compared to the Ironhead project, this will hopefully be much more relaxed and easier to handle.

Concerning the engine, I am so lucky that a previous owner before me has upgraded the bike with a 1942 WLC engine instead of the 31 DL engine with the vertical generator. If it was mend to be an original restoration, this would have been a nightmare, but in my case, I think it’s really nice. It’s hot rod style, and it makes it a lot easier for me to by performance parts, and parts I general.



Ingen kommentarer: